Hello all! I'm so sorry for the "long-time-no-write". I am now well into my 3rd week in Fairview (wow!! I can't believe I'm almost finished with my 1st rotation--only 1 week left!!! Crazy how time flies when your so busy). My 1st week here I did not have access to the internet, but one of the hospital personnel was working diligently for me to be able to access it from my laptop & in my own room. Speaking of rooms, my hospital room is quite cozy & is actually MUCH better than I was expecting :) It is a 2 person room, so I have 2 small closets, 2 desk areas, & my own bathroom with a shower. During my 1st day, I just followed the doctor to get a good feel of how things work in his clinic & just ease my nerves. I also got a tour of the hospital, which consists of 1 floor, 16 patient rooms, 2 ORs, ER has 4 rooms (& is unmanned when no patients are there), 1 OB suite which they never use, 1 ICU room, 5 clinics. When I arrived, there were NO patients in the hospital!!!! But, then there are instances like last night, for example, when they had so many patients they were talking about having to move me from my room (which I was dreading!). The 2nd day, I observed for the first couple of patients, then I started going in to talk to them on my own. Everything turned out great & there was nothing to be worried or scared of! Over the next 3 days, I hung out with 3 different doctors because my preceptor left for a CME in Kansas. Wednesday night I was fourtunate enough to run into a nurse I hadn't met yet & when I introduced myself, she said "Oh, the student! Want to come watch a finger get sewn back on?" & of course, I immediately said................"YES!!!! Please!" Well, it turns out, his finger was only sliced open & not completely off like she said, but nonetheless I was able to watch Dr. Klinger sew up this nice gentleman's 3cm laceration on his finger.
During my 2nd week, I finally had internet access (so I could get caught up on logging my patients). Then by about Tuesday night of that week, my charger stopped working & my computer was dead! So, I ordered a new charger & everything is just fine now :)! Last week I got to watch 3 "scope" procedures (colonoscopy & EGD = esophagogastroduodenoscopy...now you see why they call them EGDs??). That was a fun experience & actually, one of my favorite nurses, Dawn, is going to let me start all the IVs for the "scope" patients that we have tomorrow morning!!! YAY.....I'm just excited to get to do ANYTHING at this point.
Here are some pictures of my room--it is a bit messy (but, anyone who knows me all that well, knows that's not a big surprise!).
My lovely hospital bed & dinner/everything trey! I brought my comfy t-shirt quilt with me & my lovely Mr. Bear that Dan got for me for Senior Night Basketball (he now wears a pair of scrubs).

My sink & mirror where I try to make myself look beautiful ;)

My closets & desk areas (1 side has all my scrapbook stuff & 1 side has my school stuff).
Thanks all for being patient! Hopefully there won't be anymore set backs ;). I'll leave you with 1 of my favorite pictures of me & my hunny!! I love him SO much!!!

1 comment:
Hi Friend! I have been thinking about you alot...I am so glad to see that things are going well for you! Your blog reminded me of the recent Grey's Anatomy...where all the interns are anxious to do anything. Just think a few more rotations and you will be doing this stuff all the time. Miss you!
Post a Comment